Bhutan, Meditation, Bread, Learning, Friends, Family, Music, Books, MT

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Above Average

Last night I was talking with someone. Someone younger than me. In Bhutan, there should be respect for someone older than you. I like that when I am the elder one. If I am younger, I go back to my NZ habits. That led me to ask what is the average age of people on the earth? How many people should be showing me more consideration because of my more mature years?
Instead of Googling the answer I Alphaed it. Or should that be Alphed? Wolframed? Wolfram|Alpha started up with a fanfare on May 15, 2009. It was going to be the next greatest thing in search engines. Wolfram was a name I had come across. They make mathematics software. When I have a maths question, I use their site. Alpha is not the same as Google though. Not worse. Not better. A different kind of beast.
I typed "average age of living people in world"  and I got back this:
"Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure how to compute an answer from your input"
Using Alpha can be rather frustrating. 
The language you enter does not have the same flexibility as Google. But I did get some hints and quickly pulled up some numbers.
All countries average age. (Click if you want to see)
The median age of people in the world is 27.5 years. That is 867,200,000 seconds. Monaco was the country with the highest median (45.5) and Japan was second (43.8). Uganda was the lowest, only 15.
That puts me well above average. For once.

No comments:

Post a Comment